Based in the United States, AIS has always had international participation and is a diverse, inclusive organization. AIS encourages inclusive international and global conversations on the subjects listed above. AIS actively seeks out the full range of available perspectives in order to gain the richest and most comprehensive understanding of complex issues. It is incorporated as a non-profit educational association in the State of Ohio.
AIS pursues its mission in a variety of ways, including
- An annual conference which encourages a diverse range of presentations on any of the subjects listed above;
- A journal that provides a forum for scholarly treatment of these subjects;
- A newsletter and listserv that facilitate a less formal conversation, as well as providing information on events and programs of interest;
- A website that provides a refereed collection of resources. These resources include issues of its journal and newsletter, directories of interdisciplinary programs, lists of recommended publications in each of the areas listed above, a refereed list of recommended course syllabi as well as SOITL resources, a jobs listing, and assessment instruments;
- Various social media such as Facebook and Twitter;
- An Honor Society for Interdisciplinary Studies;
- An elected Board of Directors that supports these various activities.